Saturday, April 2, 2011

HSG Hysterosalpingogram

Many of you have asked me about the "painful procedure at the fertility doctor" I had done after posting about it on Facebook. Therefore, I am going to share a video explaining the procedure because it will help you understand it more. I wasn't expecting to have it done until next week, but my period ended up being very short so I took the bus to Seoul since Richard couldn't go with me and I didn't want to drive. After my doctor told me we were for sure doing the x-ray procedure, I received 2 different shots. The first was a skin test where they injected stuff under my skin to make sure I wouldn't be allergic to the dye they would be using during the test. I'm not really sure what the second injection was, but it was 1 of 3 things: anti-inflammatory medication, antibiotics in case of an infection from the dye, or a medication that causes the fallopian tubes to relax so they can get the best image of them. I had to wait 10 minutes for the skin test and after that was read and showed no reaction, the had me change and then they began the test. I have had pap smears done plenty of times, but this hurt. When they began injecting the dye, it was extreme pain. It really felt like serious menstrual cramps. The only good thing about it was that it didn't last too long. In the end I did have spotting for about 24 hours. After the test, I went to talk to Dr. Lee and he showed me the images. He said my uterus looked great and so did the right tube, but he said there seemed to be a temporary block of my left tube (possibly my bowels or a small piece of tissue). He believed that it would only be temporary but most likely I will have to have the test done again to make sure. (Yay Me!)  Below you will see the video explaining the HSG test.


No comments:

Post a Comment